Re: ossp-uuid Contrib Patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers Pg <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ossp-uuid Contrib Patch
Date: 2012-09-10 23:16:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com> writes:
> I ran into an issue building 9.2 with the OSSP UUID module today. A bit of Googling and I found that the MacPorts guys ran into the same issue a few weeks ago. Their discussion:

The long and the short of it is that the OSSP guys need to fix their
code. I'm not excited about kluges like

> +#define _XOPEN_SOURCE

which might band-aid around their mistake, but at what price? We have
no idea what side-effects that will have. It would not be unlikely
for that to result in an ossp-uuid.so that is subtly incompatible with
the core backend. (We've seen such effects in the past, though I'm too
lazy to trawl the archives for examples right now.)