Re: Mammoth in Core?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mammoth in Core?
Date: 2010-01-25 04:45:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>> For example, see below from above URL: This means that we expect
>> PostgreSQL exports it's parser so that existing cluster softwares can
>> use it. Not opposite direction.

> I think they says the same practically -- at least have the same impact.

> It says postgres need to export the the internal feature *only for* some
> of external cluster softwares. So, if you are thinking about exporting
> some features from the core, the exported features would better to be
> stable enough and shared by several third-party tools.

[ raised eyebrow... ]

It's going to be a really, really, *really* hard sell to get us to
export any sort of external API to the parser internals. At least
if by "API" you mean something other than "we will whack this around
to an indefinite degree on no notice, and don't even think about
complaining".

What exactly is the goal that you think such a thing would serve,
anyway? The fragments on the referenced web page don't leave me with
any warm feelings about how well the idea has been thought through.