Case problems in table and column names

From: markh(at)clockworkweb(dot)com (Mark Himsley)
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Case problems in table and column names
Date: 1998-11-18 17:22:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

It is my understanding that the case of tables and column names should not
be significant, and if you use the 'psql' front end it turns all table and
column names into lower case.

I like to use UpperAndLower case names so that table and column names are
readable. What I have done today is to create a DB on my laptop in
Microsoft Access then when I was in the office I exported the tables via
ODBC into a Postgres database.

The ODBC driver is preserving case, so the tables and columns are being
created in UpperAndLower case. Now if I access the database from 'psql' or
use 'pg_dump -d database > file' it all falls apart, because 'psql'
converts all table and column names to lower case and then can't find
them.

Should the ODBC driver be doing the translation to lower case?

I'm using ODBC driver 6.40.0001 with Postgres 6.3.2 from RedHat 5.1.

--
Mark Himsley.
Technical Director