Re: [HACKERS] still Query Limits to 8K ?

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Zsolt Varga <redax(at)agria(dot)hu>
Cc: PostgreSQL hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] still Query Limits to 8K ?
Date: 1998-11-13 14:54:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I also wonder what's the reason to limit a query to 8192bytes
> maximum..
> is there any serious problem to have longer queries?

I would think you could find and increase the size of string buffers
used in psql, libpq, and the backend.

> it could be good to have more than 8K fields (without lo_import and so
> on) for example 64K...

And Darren K (?) worked on parameterizing the maximum allowed tuple
size. You may just be able to increase it, rebuild, and reinstall.
Perhaps you could check the mail archives to see where it was left.

- Tom