Re: [HACKERS] AIX 4.2.1 regression test

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] AIX 4.2.1 regression test
Date: 1998-10-28 16:31:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > AIX 4.2.1 regression tests are ok :-)
> > rules .. failed
> Ah-hah, so HPUX is not the only platform where qsort chooses to output
> those tuples in the other order. I feel better now ;-)

Don't feel too good. There is a reason AIX is pronounced "aches" :)

> > modify configure test for cpp stdin
> 2. Rewrite the shell scripts that are using this feature so that they
> don't need cpp-from-stdin, but just use a temporary file and plain
> $(CPP). Then we can forget about testing for it in configure.
> A quick "glimpse" shows there are only two shell scripts using
> $(CPPSTDIN), so I think choice #2 is the way to go.

I agree. Those two scripts use temporary files for other stages of their
processing, so it isn't a change from what they already do. I was
tempted to do that a month ago when I first ran across the problem of
the hardcoded cpp references. Are you going to try to do it now, or
should we wait for v6.4.1? I would think that it has a high probability
of success, with testing from just one or two people.