Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...
Date: 1998-10-27 18:21:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I understand that, and I *don't* run it as root, I only install it
> as root. After it's installed I chown it to postgres which is what
> many other packages do. I also do everything from /usr/local/src/
> instead of /usr/src. IMO, /usr/src is no place for users to be
> putting or building files. It's also alot easier to back up the local
> tree and be done with it. But these are just my preferences. If
> someone else wants to build it in / that's their business.

Sorry about that. I agree with you completely (I may even agree with you
more than you do! :)

I do a _lot_ of postgres building, since developing the server is one of
my hobbies. istm it is much cleaner to do everything out of
/opt/postgres, owned by postgres (as opposed to scattering things below
/, which as you point out can be a mess). I put the builds into
directories like v6.3.2 or 981014.d, then point to one with a softlink
/opt/postgres/current. Then nothing needs to happen as root for months
on end, and I can switch between versions in a minute or two if
necessary.

I'm not sure what the current thinking is on the /opt concept wrt the
newer file system conventions being negotiated between Unices...

- Tom