Re: [HACKERS] Last call?

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Last call?
Date: 1998-10-27 15:38:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> LinuxPPC on PowerMac:
> o PowerBook 2400c (PPC 603e) running 2.1.24 kernel
> o regresion tests are almost good except the datetime test.
> They were ok on 6.3.2.
>
> MkLinux on PowerMac:
> o PowerMac 7600 (PPC 750) running MkLinux DR3
> o Same failure of the datetime test as LinuxPPC
>
> FreeBSD:
> o FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE
> o datetime testing fails (seems same phenomenon as LinuxPPC)
> o int8 testing fails (is this normal?)
>
> Seems there's something wrong with datetime. Comment?

Yes. I have learned to never ask for regression testing reports near a
daylight savings time boundary. I assume Japan set the clock back an
hour last Sunday? The explicit tests for 'yesterday', 'today',
'tomorrow' combined with date arithmetic fail since there is an hour
offset across that boundary. In a day or two the tests will succeed.

I'm not sure why FreeBSD has trouble with int8. It of course requires
support from the compiler, and configure tries to test for it. You don't
use gcc? If not, then perhaps you could check into 64-bit integer
support on your compiler. If you do use gcc, perhaps the test is having
trouble finding the complete set of libraries. I used to have a problem
on my Linux box with that; the 64-bit int subtraction routine didn't
make it into libc, but was hidden in some machine-specific library way
down the tree.

Perhaps you and Marc can look into the FreeBSD int8 problem?

> (2) cross platform testing
> I have run the test with FreeBSD 2.2.7 and Mklinux. Seems they are
> happy to talk to each other.

This is all good. Thanks.

- Tom