Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Odbc parser error

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Sferacarta Software <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it>
Cc: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Odbc parser error
Date: 1998-10-26 17:28:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> JS> Yes, I would to suggest a way to solve this problem because in
> JS> Access we can't link two tables by a numeric field
> JS> # conn=75511800, query='SELECT "order_detail"."numero" FROM
> JS> "order_detail" WHERE ("numero" = NULL )'
> JS> I know this is not standard but Access understand both syntaxes
> JS> SELECT * FROM table WHERE field IS NULL;
> JS> SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = NULL;
> JS> Why not to get PostgreSQL to understand it also ?
> Done. I modify the pgsql/src/backend/gram.y
> How about to add it to official release ?

Or, how about insisting that your commercial software suppliers conform
to one of the simplest and clearest part of the SQL standard they claim
to support? Instead of using those suppliers who insist on making small
and large incompatibilities in their popular software packages to ensure
that only their own products can interoperate with them?

*slap* Ow! Ok, Ok!

It looks like a nice patch. But it is too late to get it into v6.4. It
looks like a good addition to v6.5...

*slap* OW! OK!

In fact, it is such a nice feature that I'm sure it will fit nicely into
v6.4.1, and you are welcome to submit a patchset to post on
postgresql.org to fix v6.4.

*grin*

It would be best to include patches for both gram.y and a full gram.c so
that users may not have to rebuild the parser. Also, if we run into
parser syntax conflicts in the future it would be a candidate for
removal, I suppose.

- Tom