I cannot create views in postgreSQL 6.3.2

From: Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer(at)exit109(dot)com>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: I cannot create views in postgreSQL 6.3.2
Date: 1998-10-16 22:50:16
Lists: pgsql-general

I have been working for a short while with postgreSQL 6.3.2
and it mostly works OK. (I have trouble creating views.
I have tried posting questions on ...questions, but from what I
can tell, they are not answered there.)

For example, part of a database is as follows:

stocks=> \d ticker

Table = ticker
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

| Field |
Type | Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

| ticker_f_date | datetime not null
| 8 |
| ticker_l_date | datetime not null
| 8 |
| ticker_company_id | int4 not null
| 4 |
| ticker_symbol | text
| var |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

stocks=> \d ibd

Table = ibd
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

| Field | Type |
Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

| ibd_date | datetime not null
| 8 |
| ibd_company_id | int4 not null
| 4 |
| ibd_eps | int2
| 2 |
| ibd_rs | int2
| 2 |
| ibd_acc_dst | char
| 1 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

When I do:

stocks=> CREATE VIEW ug5 AS
stocks-> SELECT ticker_symbol, ibd_eps, ibd_rs, ibd_acc_dst
stocks-> FROM ticker, ibd
stocks-> WHERE ticker_company_id = ibd_company_id;

I get:

ERROR: pg_rewrite: Permission denied.
stocks=>

This does not seem to care what relations I use or what I
make the view look like.
Seems to be a permission problem. It would work in 6.4
postgreSQL, but I could not make indices or primary keys
work with that one and inferred that 6.4 was a development
version, and went to 6.3.2. I am running Red Hat 5.0 with kernel
2.0.35 on a PC if that makes any difference.

Since I can be super-user on this machine, and since I am
the postgreSQL system administrator as well
(one-man-machine), I can do anything I want if I know what I
want. What permission would I be lacking and how do I grant
it to myself?

--
Windows is not the answer. Windows is the question. The answer is No.

Jean-David Beyer
Shrewsbury, New Jersey