Re: Sorry 'bout that mild outburst, and here's another change.

From: Gerald Gryschuk <gerald(dot)gryschuk(at)home(dot)com>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sorry 'bout that mild outburst, and here's another change.
Date: 1998-10-06 08:25:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> OK, from here on we will be making tweaks to the cvs tree based on your
> files. I've modified src/configure.in to do the configuration of
> interfaces/odbc using that configure pass, rather than the "independent
> package" configure that we were trying earlier. If compiling standalone,
> then the local interfaces/odbc/configure is used instead.

Huh? Are you saying that you added commands other than AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS
to the Postgres distribution configure.in such that it "builds" the
odbc makefiles itself rather than having the odbc driver's configure
script do it? Or am I misinterpreting what you've said?

> I haven't retried the standalone package, and will be happy to look at
> it soon. The "make standalone" might work a bit better if it takes the
> template directory from ../../template rather than from ./template
> (using -C on tar to untar things locally), but that is a detail that I
> won't bother with right now.

Again, huh? I'm sure its only a minor detail but pray explain some more.
I use -C ../../template to get the template files from the Postgres
top-level directory. Than all someone has to do with the tarball is
tar -xzf tarfile.tar.gz in some empty directory and they have the
complete source ready to just ./configure. What am I missing?

> At some point we should think about yanking the platform-specific stuff
> out of the GNUmakefile.in and using the templates for that instead. But
> let's stop polishing for right now and get something committed and on
> the air.

I agree, I'm kinda tired of looking at configure scripts. Besides I
have a real job. I suppose if we get enough ports to other systems
eventually we can do that but I think it can wait. Bet you thought
you could trick me again and have me just jump right on it huh? :-)

> So, thanks. I'll look at it once more and then commit to the cvs tree
> and send a tarball (zipball?) to Byron.

Haven't heard from Byron in a few days, what's up Byron you fall asleep?

I suspect he'ld appreciate a zipball more than a tarball.

> btw, I've got at least 3 Unix/linux beta testers lined up (mostly from
> the ApplixWare support list), and will send them the tarball also. At
> least one of them is very capable (I've seen him on the lists for quite
> a while) and he should provide some good feedback.

Sounds good.

BTW. I CC'd this back to the mailing list.

--
Gerald Gryschuk
gerald(dot)gryschuk(at)home(dot)com