Re: [INTERFACES] Re: Just some unfinished stuff.

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Gerald Gryschuk <ggryschuk(at)scf(dot)sk(dot)ca>
Cc: Gerald Gryschuk <gerald(dot)gryschuk(at)home(dot)com>, Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: Just some unfinished stuff.
Date: 1998-10-05 15:06:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Did you try putting 'echo $prefix' at the beginning of the odbc
> configure.in and rerunning autoconf on it? As I said previously this
> should spit out the prefix that is set before the rest of the odbc
> configure is run.
> Other than the prefix being set prematurely
> I can't think of any reason for this to fail. On the other hand given
> that your postgres directory is other than /usr/local/pgsql you must
> be supplying a --prefix on the Postgres configure command line right?
> If not please explain how your getting your distribution into that
> directory.

Ah! That's the source of our confusion! I install into
/opt/postgres/current
rather than into /usr/local, but do so by setting the PGROOT environment
variable. I never have to specify any configure command-line options
when I build. Which is a good thing since I sometimes build several
times in a session as I'm developing backend code...

Now that I think about it, I also set PGLIB, so should make sure that
the odbc installation uses that rather than POSTGRESDIR/lib.

> Beyond this the only other thing is to check the odbc
> Makefile.global.in.
> Find the line that sets PSQLODBC and make sure it looks like this,
> PSQLODBC=(at)prefix@
> I don't recall sending out a Makefile.global.in that didn't have this
> but maybe I made I did.

It does look like this, but the top of configure.in has the line

AC_PREFIX_DEFAULT(/usr/local)

which pretty much sets everything which follows, and which is an
unconditional assignment. So without command-line switches, that's where
things went before my changes.

> The only other thing I can think of is rather "drastic". Rather than
> sending me all of v6.4 so I can try it myself just send me the 6.4
> configure.in,Makefile.global.in and GNUmakefile.in so I can have
> a look at them.

I will send you the 6.4 configure.in, Makefile.global.in, _and_ my
current interfaces/odbc directory. We need to make sure we are working
from the same set of complete sources so we don't drop any work.

The only thing which still annoys me is having to carry the template
directory inside interfaces/odbc. But I agree that it would be best to
have the Postgres tree carrying the full psqlodbc sources so that
someone can pick up just that part and carry it do a different client.
I've thought about having a "make standalone" which creates a tarball
with the template files included, but let's keep it simple (as-is) for
this release.

- Tom