Re: [INTERFACES] Re: Just some unfinished stuff.

From: Gerald Gryschuk <gerald(dot)gryschuk(at)home(dot)com>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: Just some unfinished stuff.
Date: 1998-10-04 20:59:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> OK, I've gotten your e-mails, and so now I understand where we are
> starting from (maybe :). v6.3 had some brain-damage on the automatic
> platform detection (or didn't try at all). Let me send you my patched
> version of configure.in so you are starting with something closer to the
> v6.4 behavior.
>
> I'm also going to assume that I've got the most recent versions of
> things, and will integrate and test changes here, then commit to the
> Postgres source tree when we've worked through the configure stuff. Will
> send the complete set to Byron for vetting at the same time, and we can
> commit patches as he likes.
>
> Uh, so here it is the configure.in...
>
> - Tom

I tried this new configure.in and it works the way I expected. The
PSQLODBC setting in Makefile.global
gets set to /usr/local/pgsql. I didn't try to make install but I see no
reason this shouldn't
work by putting the files where I expect them(i.e. headers should go to
/usr/local/pgsql/include/iodbc).

The above worked whether I configure'd from the psqlodbc directory
embedded in the 6.3 distribution or from the top level
Postgres 'src' directory. So... are you still having
problems with the 'make install' trying to use '/usr/local' when
your building within the Postgres distribution? If you are, there
is one possible explanation, although I don't see why this
would happen. The psqlodbc configure script checks that the
variable 'prefix' is set to 'NONE' if it's anything else
it will use that prefix. Maybe somehow the 'prefix' variable
is being set to '/usr/local'? The version of configure I'm using
was generated by autoconf 2.12. Maybe a different version of
autoconf causes this prefix variable to be set to something
other than 'NONE' on entry to the configure script. Note that
I was working from the observed behaviour that 'prefix' was
only set to something other than 'NONE' if the user specifically
supplied the '--prefix=' on the './configure' command line.

You should be able to check this by putting an
'echo $prefix'

at the top of your configure.in and see what it spits out.

By the way, something's up with the html docs you sent. Netscape
version 4.05 refuses to display them. What's the magic command
to regenerate them from the sgml source?

--
Gerald Gryschuk
gerald(dot)gryschuk(at)home(dot)com