Problem connecting to database engine with ODBC through Access 97

From: Keith Tucker <ktucker(at)mchep(dot)osrhe(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem connecting to database engine with ODBC through Access 97
Date: 1998-10-01 06:49:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I am running PostgreSQL version 6.3.2 on Linux 2.0.30 running on I486
with 40 meg RAM. I have installed PsqlODBC version 6.30.0249 on Windows
95 OEM version 4.00.950 B with 16 MEG of RAM. The database engine seems
to be running on the Linux box just fine, I can use psql to connect to
my database called "test". This has one table with 2 fields and I can
manipulate data just fine from here. I want to connect to this database
with MS Access 97 from my win 95 machine. The two machines are
connected with 10MBS ethernet. The name of my database server machine
in c:\windows\host is kndata (for Kiamichi Net Database). I can ping
this machine and telnet to it just fine. The psqlodbc driver seemed to
install on my Win95 machine just fine. After configuring the data
source and trying to access my database on kndata using MS Access, I get
the following message windows. The first one is: "ODBC--call failed".
After clicking OK, another window comes up that says (in two lines):
"Could not connect to server;
(next line) Could not connect to the remote socket (#1)". Everything
seems to be happening as expected up to this point. Any help would be
appreciated. I have enclosed the commlog as requested. Thank you in
advance.

Keith Tucker

ktucker(at)mchep(dot)osrhe(dot)edu

Attachment Content-Type Size