Re: [HACKERS] SIGSEGV in 'select * from pg_user'

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeroen van Vianen <jeroenv(at)design(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] SIGSEGV in 'select * from pg_user'
Date: 1998-09-07 14:59:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I saw this too on my LinuxPPC box. In my case, just doing:
> select * from pg_user
>
> crashes the backend. The backtrace shows it crashed in chunk_free()
> while committing the transaction. I guess something messed up the
> tables managed by malloc().
>
> Talking about the regression, two tests (constraints, select_views)
> produced core dump. Seems no difference even after applying Bruce's
> latest patches.

I see the same behavior, with a simple "select * from pg_user" enough to
crash the backend, and with the same two regression tests resulting in
core dumps. As I've mentioned earlier, I believe that the select_views
test has been failing for quite a while, where the other problems are
more recent. Presumably the pg_user problem is similar to the
select_views problem??

Would it help to choose a (simple) test case which shows a problem
(either a core dump or the "relation not found" problem) and start
working it through together? We could then exchange notes on what we are
finding.

I'm not absolutely certain that the problems are directly related to
changes for indexing; other changes (the oid removal, the "name" type
changes, others??) happened in the same time frame...

- Tom