Re: [HACKERS] struct index

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Dr(dot) Michael Meskes" <meskes(at)online-club(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] struct index
Date: 1998-08-19 15:08:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I just checked and found that is does indeed break ecpg compilation. I
> just didn't notice because ecpg isn't compiled per default. Any reason
> why it isn't?

I suspect it is for historical reasons: either ecpg had trouble
compiling at one time so someone disabled the default build, _or_ some
systems have trouble with your bison or flex input file. I'm vaguely
recalling the latter, and the fix will be for you to include the bison
and flex output in the distribution so it does not need to be rebuilt
unless someone changes the source.

If you do this, it is important to "touch" the output files _before_
committing to CVS, so that the outputs are definitely dated later than
the inputs, otherwise make will decide to rebuild them anyway. I made
this mistake yet again the last time I committed gram.c for the main
parser, and we'll need to fix this before v6.4 is released...

- Tom