Re: [INTERFACES] iodbc interface on Unix

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] iodbc interface on Unix
Date: 1998-08-19 02:25:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Yes, if you are using a snapshot of 6.4 then the driver won't work
> because it is using 6.3 protocol. And it uses PG_PROTOCOL_LATEST
> in its connect for the protocol version. Maybe it should use 6.3.

Ah. That sounds like the problem.

> How do you set the protocol version to be 6.3? Is it just major
> number = 6 and minor number = 3? Seems too simple.

It's even simpler. The protocol started at 0.0, was 1.0 for v6.3, and
will be 2.0 for v6.4. But on the surface it looks like we are OK for
now, unless Postgres doesn't really like v6.3 packets:

/opt/postgres/current/src/interfaces/odbc.new/connection.h:
#define PG_PROTOCOL_LATEST PG_PROTOCOL(1, 0)
/opt/postgres/current/src/interfaces/odbc.new/connection.c:
sp.protoVersion = (ProtocolVersion) htonl(PG_PROTOCOL_LATEST);

> Also, as far as compiling goes, I understand the driver has trouble
> compiling under Linux since the Translation DLL stuff was
> added. Did you have to ifdef that stuff out for Non-win32?

Yeah, it didn't help :) I hope to get somewhere on this soon, and I can
send patches or full sources which include changes. No point in making
you guess on what actually worked...

So, any more ideas/suggestions on how to get this working?

- Tom