Re: [INTERFACES] postgresODBC and Symantec dbAnywhere/Visual Cafe, broken?

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)wolfepub(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] postgresODBC and Symantec dbAnywhere/Visual Cafe, broken?
Date: 1998-08-10 20:21:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> David,
>
> That worked...  I'm not sure how usefull it will be though.  Now when I
> select the "plus" next to the contacts table, it lists the fields like this:
>
> 4
> INTEGER
> 15
> -blank-
> 0
> 0
> 0
> -blank-
> -blank-
> -blank-
> -blank-

This may be a bug in the driver.   Every once and a while when we throw a new
application a the driver we find some imperfections in its implementation.   This
is our first attempt at dbAnywhere.   I am sure we can straighten this out, but we
are backed up right now.

> When I select one of these items, all its properties are ghosted out.  Then
> again, I'm not sure how it would look with say, Oracle or some other
> database.  Do these RAD tools really increase a programmers development
> time, or just change what he/she spends most of his/her time working on?
> Visual Cafe and JBuilder seem like a large amount of money to only be able
> to paint the GUI, or are biased to large RDBMSes that cost mega bucks and
> only run on UN*X systems that cost just as much.  What are you using for
> RAD Java apps?

Much of what you are experiencing is one time start-up cost.   For you this is a
new database and a new IDE.   For us, this is the first time with dbAnywhere.
These problems will work themselves out; future dbAnywhere users will hopefully
benefit from your experience.

To your question "What are you using for RAD Java apps?"   VB5   :-)