Re: [INTERFACES] postgresODBC and Symantec dbAnywhere/Visual Cafe, broken?

From: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)wolfepub(dot)com>
To: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] postgresODBC and Symantec dbAnywhere/Visual Cafe, broken?
Date: 1998-08-10 15:20:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

>> Test 2:
>> The second test was done after I created an index called contacts_pkey by
>> hand on the server with the following command:
>>
>> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX contacts_pkey ON contacts(id);
>>
>> I found the dbAnywhere error message *very* interesting for this test.
>>

>Indeed. Notice the query on dd_fkey. This is cause by dbAnywhere's
request for
>foreign keys of the table contact. PostgreSQL does not support foreign
keys.
>However, we implemented a work around (hack by any other name) so that we (at
>Insight) could use Visio and any other application that made such ODBC API
>requests. Surprisingly, his is the first application outside of our
company
>that has raised this issue.
>
>Ok, here's what you need to do:
>
>CREATE TABLE dd_fkey (
> PRIMARY KEY (relname, attnames),
> relname name, -- base table name
> attnames varchar(128), -- list of foreign attributes concatenated
by '+'
>(i.e. 'att1+att2' or just 'att1' )
> frelname NOT NULL -- foreign table name
>);
>
>-- Example
>INSERT INTO dd_fkey (relname, attnames, frelname) VALUES ('contact',
>'att1+att2...', 'persons');
>
>This assumes you have a foreign key on contact. If not, just create the
empty
>table. Lets see how far this gets us.
>
>BTW, in version 6.4 we plan to use Vadim's triggers used to implement
foreign keys
>as the source for this information.

David,

That worked... I'm not sure how usefull it will be though. Now when I
select the "plus" next to the contacts table, it lists the fields like this:

4
INTEGER
15
-blank-
0
0
0
-blank-
-blank-
-blank-
-blank-

When I select one of these items, all its properties are ghosted out. Then
again, I'm not sure how it would look with say, Oracle or some other
database. Do these RAD tools really increase a programmers development
time, or just change what he/she spends most of his/her time working on?
Visual Cafe and JBuilder seem like a large amount of money to only be able
to paint the GUI, or are biased to large RDBMSes that cost mega bucks and
only run on UN*X systems that cost just as much. What are you using for
RAD Java apps?

Matthew