Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg

From: Edmund Mergl <E(dot)Mergl(at)bawue(dot)de>
To: Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg
Date: 1998-08-10 16:44:37
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Goran Thyni wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se> writes:
> > > I am using perl 5.005_01 with threads support and DBI/DBD::Pg.
> > > DBI/DBD is the "standard" RDBMS-interface for perl available
> > > from CPAN.
> >
> > Hmm. Well, I'm afraid I have too much on my plate already to go chasing
> > an incompatibility with someone else's software. If you or someone else
> > can track down what the problem is, I'll gladly help fix libpq (if
> > that's what needs fixed) ... but I can't spare the time right now to
> > chase a problem that doesn't show up in my setup.
>
> Since there are 3 pcs of s/w involved (all 3 with many lines of C-code)
> and non of them are really well tested in a threaded environment
> it is a real kludge.
> I understand anyone who do not want to stick his head into that,
> I pulled my own back and started experimenting with my "pure perl"
> interface instead.
> Your work cleaning up libpq will be appriciated by lots of programmers
> out there.
>
> As a status report on my module, it now fetch records OK too.
> On the ToDo-list:
> * INET-socket support (now it is Unix domain sockets only)
> * explicit cursor support
> * BLOB-support
> * clean-up of error handling/reporting
> * test suite
> * DBI-DBD layer on top of standard module
> I will release a snap-shot as soon as it is cleaned up a bit and
> somewhat more tested.
>
> regards,
> --
> Göran Thyni, sysadm, JMS Bildbasen, Kiruna

I suggest to spend the effort on making libpq thread safe.
Otherwise we end up with two DBD modules for postgres.
If you prepare a module, which does not depend on libpq,
you will have much more effort on keeping it up to date.
The main goal of an interface like libpq is to avoid such
dependencies.

Edmund
--
Edmund Mergl mailto:E(dot)Mergl(at)bawue(dot)de
Im Haldenhau 9 http://www.bawue.de/~mergl