Using JDBC and SSL (or any method of security)

From: Nick Urbanik <nicku(at)iohk(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Using JDBC and SSL (or any method of security)
Date: 1998-07-14 09:21:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

We want to use JDBC together with a patched PostgreSQL using Brett
McCormick's PostgreSQl-SSL patch. Is it possible to use encrypted
communication with JDBC using this? Or kerberos? Or do you have any
suggestions as to how we can make it secure?

The database will contain sensitive information and will be available
over the Internet, to those who are authorised.

If no encryption is possible, is it possible to ensure that no one can
read the passwords (by encrypting them)? I would be grateful for any
help; please reply to my email addresses also.
--
Nick Urbanik, Dept. of Elec & Comms Engineering, HKTC(TY)
email: nicku(at)vtc(dot)edu(dot)hk, nicku(at)iohk(dot)com