JDBC drivers

From: Jeffrey Napolitano <jnapoli(at)setech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC drivers
Date: 1998-07-10 19:52:34
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I have two programs:

one which I run via : java JavaProgram
which connects to the Postgresql database, and puts stuff in, etc.
one which I run via a webserver - an applet, which is called in an html
document, and attempts to access a Postgresql database.

Both programs load the driver via "Class.forName("postgresql.Driver")",
and use DriverManager.getConnection - however, the first one, the
application, apparently finds the postgresql.Driver via its CLASSPATH.
The second one, the applet, does not HAVE a CLASSPATH because it is
invoked by the web server, and therefore returns "cannot find suitable
driver".

I have put postgresql.jar (the JDBC driver) in the directory that the
applet is being executed, but it is still not found.

There must be a way to use a JDBC driver with applets, right?
Unfortunately, I don't know how to which is environment variable
"independent"...anyone?

Jeffrey Napolitano
Lowly Intern
Software Emancipation Technology