Re: Using ALTER TABLESPACE in pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using ALTER TABLESPACE in pg_dump
Date: 2004-11-01 02:18:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Gavin Sherry wrote:
>> I'm not sure about TOAST however. I considered the idea of adding
>> something to CREATE TABLE like TOASTSPACE <tablespace>, such that all
>> TOAST tables would be put in the 'toastspace'. But I think the syntax is
>> ugly and would confuse many users who do not know what toast is.

> I think we need to add temp_tablespace and toast_tablespace GUC
> variables to deal with this, perhaps for 8.1.

A tablespace for temp tables is okay, but I'm fairly dubious about the
idea of a "toast tablespace". The current behavior is that a toast
table is automatically placed into the same tablespace as its parent,
and that seems exactly right to me. It's certainly the right thing from
the point of view of users who do not understand TOAST and expect all of
a table's data to get put where they said to put the table.