Re: [INTERFACES] Re: M$-Access'97 and TIMESTAMPs

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: "Jose' Soares Da Silva" <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it>
Cc: interfaces postgres <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: M$-Access'97 and TIMESTAMPs
Date: 1998-06-11 21:36:03
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

Jose',

I got row versioning working with the "xmin" field. Since it is a system column, and
automatically updates, you would not need triggers all over the place on every table.
I made it a datasource option called "Row Versioning".

It works well with Access except for two minor caveats:

1) The driver has to report the 'xmin' field in SQLColumns. There is no way around
that I can see. Access, thus displays it. Users can of course hide the column if they
hate looking at it. And Access won't let you type into this field which is good.

2) You have to create an '=' operator for the xid type on the postgres side since one
does not already exist. I have the code to do it if you are interested (it is very
small). For 6.4, we would make sure this operator is added.

Byron