Re: When/if to Reindex

From: "Steven Flatt" <steven(dot)flatt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bill Moran" <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, "Vivek Khera" <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, "Pgsql performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: When/if to Reindex
Date: 2007-08-09 13:51:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 8/8/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I'd make the same remark about Steven's case: if possible, don't create
> the indexes at all until you've loaded the table fully.

We considered this, however in some of our 12-hour partitions, there are
upwards of 50 or 60 million rows near the end of the 12 hours so read
performance gets bad on the current partition very quickly if there are no

It makes more sense for us to have ~1 hour's worth of reindexing afterwards
during which read performance on that partition is "compromised".

Steve