Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] Should I run regression tests?

From: Doug Lo <jwlo(at)ms11(dot)hinet(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] Should I run regression tests?
Date: 1998-06-08 15:27:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Moved to pgsql-hackers...
>
> On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Herouth Maoz wrote:
>
> > End users which merely use the database should not be concerned with such
> > things, but if we are to run the system in a serious environment, my system
> > admin wants to be sure that postgres works *here*.
>
> We aren't removing the regression tests, we are just removing the
> comment that we strongly encourage ppl to run them...we have yet to have
> an end-user report a problem with the regression tests that was something
> that was actually a 'bug'...

Hi,

I'm curious about running regression tests. Why running regression tests is
important
for a ppl not an end-user? If I'm an end-user, running regression tests and get
failed tests,
may I fix'em? If yes, would you like to tell me how to fix? Otherwise, what do
they mean?
Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
Doug.