M$oft Win95, ODBC and 'crypt-ed' Passwords

From: Paul Roberts <paul(dot)roberts(at)trinity-bris(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: M$oft Win95, ODBC and 'crypt-ed' Passwords
Date: 1998-06-03 07:40:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Relative newbie here ....

I'm hoping to use PostgreSQL to host the busier tables on a Student
Administation DBMS for three small HE colleges which we're developing at
the moment. The front-end clients will be M$-Access on Win95/NT4.0
boxes.

ODBC is working fine. However, I'm none-too-keen on routinely sending
unencrypted passwords over the Internet link between the different sites
at the moment of connection.

One solution is to edit pg_hba.conf to mask host access on IP number and
trust the hosts. Errm, no thanks....

The other solution which works is to send open passwords over the link -
I'd rather not do this.

pg_hba.conf also offers ident server authentication : I know nothing of
this, but does it pertain to the M$ platform?

It also offers crypt / decrypt, which UN&X/Linux could offer, but is
there a M$ en-crypting solution?

Have any others found a way around this problem? Is there a best
solution?

Regards
Paul