Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How to use memory instead of hd?

From: "Gran Thyni" <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se>
To: "Vadim B(dot) Mikheev" <vadim(at)sable(dot)krasnoyarsk(dot)su>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How to use memory instead of hd?
Date: 1998-04-23 16:29:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vadim B. Mikheev wrote:

> Göran Thyni wrote:
> >
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Yes, we could. I don't think we do because we an anon-mapped region is
> > > the same as shmem, but if the limit is higher for anon mmap, we could
> > > used it.
> >
> > It could be faster too,
> > and it API is cleaner too (IMHO).
> > If we resolve the fork/exec -> just fork problem in the server
> > mmap would make a good improvment in simplicity and probably
> > speed too.
>
> MAP_INHERIT
> Permit regions to be inherited across execve(2) system calls.
>
> - exec isn't problem...
>
> Vadim

It is on non-BSD systems (I checked Linux 2.0.33 and DG/UX, no go).
And how do you keep the handles after an exec.

BTW, to get rid of exec to more easily replace shmem with mmap is only
part of it,
to use mmap instead of shmem to easier remove the exec is the other
side. :-)

best regards,
Göran Thyni, sysadm, JMS Bildbasen, Kiruna