Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC into Access...

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC into Access...
Date: 1998-04-22 15:37:50
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning...
>
> Well, I've finally been forced to use Micro$loth for a project
> *sigh* But, thank god, its purely to provide a front-end for a client, so
> I can live with it...
>
> But, the question is...the table that I'm creating consists of
> fields of int4[] (an array), where element 1 is an answer, and element 2
> is a score associated with that answer...
>
> How (if it does?) will Access be able to handle this?

Good Afternoon,

The driver handles all none standard data types as text. The resulting
behavior will probably vary some with each application and data type. In the
case of int4[] and MS Access 97 it does an effective job. The array can be
displayed and updated cleanly. Arithmetic is a little tricky. MS Access
complains about "t.a[1]" in the query builder. It does not like the syntax
and never sends it to the backend.

The work around is to choose the SQL Pass-thru option. This will allow you to
build expressions like "t.a[0] * t.a[1]". The hassle is that every time you
run the query in Access 97 it prompts you with a database connection dialog.

MS Excel in combination w/ MS Query may provide a better solution. It passes
every query through.. I try to stay away from the more exotic types if I know
I am going to expose them to the public.

Attachment Content-Type Size
vcard.vcf text/x-vcard 204 bytes