ODBC 16 bit support

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, "Julia A(dot)Case" <julie(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Scott Tomer x6214 Austin <stomer(at)bmc(dot)com>, Gerhard Reithofer <gerhardr(at)tech-edv(dot)co(dot)at>
Subject: ODBC 16 bit support
Date: 1998-04-18 16:49:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello all,

Boy the discussions on this list are certainly lively these days!

I didn't say that "Postgres" shouldn't offer a 16 bit ODBC driver to go
with its distribution. After all, you still have the old PostODBC driver
that works for 16 bit. I said that this new driver probably shouldn't
support 16 bit. It is still, as it always has been, YOUR decision to
use this new driver or not. We (meaning Insight) needed a good solid
driver for our clients and the old one just wasn't cutting it, thus a
rewrite, reorganization, whatever you want to call it, was necessary for
us. We offered this driver in the hopes of helping the Postgres effort.
When we made this new driver available, we provided a whole list of
things that were changed or removed or enhanced to make this driver work
really well. The first thing on the removed list is "Win 3.1". How
come now everybody is complaining? Didn't you read the list?

Now that said, on my own time over the weekend, I will look into what it
would take to make the current driver support win3.1. But if it turns
out that it would degrade the performance of the driver for 32bit or
require major rework, I would probably have to say, it would be best to
have 2 separate drivers.

Regards,

Byron