Can't Update from MS Access (Was - Insight ODBC driver)

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Olaf Mittelstaedt <mstaedt(at)va-sigi(dot)va(dot)fh-ulm(dot)de>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Can't Update from MS Access (Was - Insight ODBC driver)
Date: 1998-04-17 18:03:02
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Olaf Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Thank you Byron and David for your answers (and Marc for redirecting
> my message to pqsql-interfaces).
>
> Here a few more details on my problem.
>
> > 1. I am not as familiar with Access 2.0. But the 7.0 and 97 versions
> > require a unique key to be specified at link time for an update to be
> > allowed. I want to be sure that you have done that, and that you not
> > referring to the "create unique index" statement which creates the index
> > in the database table on the server.
>
> Access 2.0 should automatically use a unique index on the database
> server if it's present. Below the statements I've used to create,
> populate and test the table.

Access 7.0 & 97 do not automatically use a unique index on the database server if
it's present. They need to be told the key at link time. I do not possess a
2.0. version. I am including a portion of a drafted of the new FAQ. I hope this
helps.

PS. You are using a 32 bit Windows OS aren't you.

Attachment Content-Type Size
PSQLODBC_FAQ.htm text/html 2.8 KB
vcard.vcf text/x-vcard 204 bytes