Re: Sorting performance vs. MySQL

From: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yang Zhang <yanghatespam(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sorting performance vs. MySQL
Date: 2010-02-23 17:01:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 00:02, Yang Zhang <yanghatespam(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thing is, this is how I got here:
>
> - ran complex query that does SELECT INTO.
> - that never terminated, so killed it and tried a simpler SELECT (the
> subject of this thread) from psql to see how long that would take.

You might have better luck if you paste the EXPLAIN ANALYZE of the
SELECT INTO here (Maybe a new thread? Maybe on -performance? use your
judgement...). But I bet if its doing something with transactionid
like your straight select was, an index would help. If you are just
using SELECT INTO to copy all of the data into a new table... COPY
might be faster or CREATE TABLE AS.