Re: Auto-explain patch

From: "Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dean Rasheed" <dean_rasheed(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Auto-explain patch
Date: 2008-06-30 16:10:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 6:34 AM, Dean Rasheed <dean_rasheed(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a small patch I posted a few months back, and then kinda forgot
> about / got distracted with other things.
>
> Is there any interest in this? If so I am willing to put more work into
> it, if people like it or have suggested improvements. Otherwise I'll let it
> drop.
>
> Here's what is does:
>
> As it stands, basically it's just another debug parameter, called
> debug_explain_plan, similar to debug_print_plan, except that the
> output is in the form of EXPLAIN ANALYSE.

<snip>

> Simon Riggs reviewed this last time and said that what this patch
> currently does is probably not exactly what is wanted for PostgreSQL.
> Possible improvements might be to integrate this with the EXPLAIN
> command (eg. EXPLAIN TRACE query) and have a separate parameter
> (log_explain) for logging purposes.
>
> Comments?

Its certainly not useful to *me* in its current form. It would
produce way to much (usless) output. However if it were tied to
log_min_duration_statement so I get auto explains for long running
queries... That would be very useful indeed. Even if it has to
explain everything just to toss out the explain if it did not meet
log_min_duration_statement. Unless I missed something and thats
exactly what it does?