Re: [HACKERS] atttypmod

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] atttypmod
Date: 1998-02-20 03:24:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brett McCormick wrote:

> How about having output options for types? I know this can be
> implemented with functions and views, but it would be nice to able to
> output values in different formats by default (such as datetime =>
> seconds since the epoch)

This is a slippery slope. If you have various output options, then you also
would want to cleanly input those same outputs. There are already some output
options for date/time, to accomodate the world-wide variations in same. Having
a fully-general input/output capability for all data types which bypasses
functions and views seems to be ignoring the power of those existing
mechanisms...

otoh, we _do_ have to figure out how to implement the decimal/numeric type
someday, so dive in :)

- Tom