Re: Propose: enum with all registered table names?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: dmitry(at)koterov(dot)ru, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Propose: enum with all registered table names?
Date: 2008-11-20 17:22:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> It's regclass you're after I think.

A fairly large problem with either regclass or a hypothetical
system-maintained enum is that a table with such a column effectively
has a data dependency on all the tables it mentions. Which pg_dump
won't know about, so it might try to restore that table before it's
finished creating all the mentioned tables.

I think this will actually work alright in existing pg_dump releases
because it does all the table creation DDL before trying to load any
data. You might have some problems with future parallel pg_restores
though.

On the whole I'd recommend staying away from the idea. It doesn't
seem valuable enough to be worth taking risks over.