Re: SMP-PPC spinlocks in 7.2.4?

From: eric soroos <eric-psql(at)soroos(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SMP-PPC spinlocks in 7.2.4?
Date: 2003-03-13 16:47:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom,

> > If you don't mind running a slightly customized version, you might try
> > back-patching this fix:
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/src/backend/commands/async.c.diff?r1=1.91&r2=1.91.2.1
> > into 7.2.4 and see if that improves matters.
>
> I'll give that a shot.

It patched cleanly except for the version header. I've been running it for about 36 hours now with no problems. I'd say that I'm about 85% convinced that it made the difference, as I've also done some optimizations since then that reduce the database load by caching.

I'd say that this patch is a candidate for 7.2.5 if there's ever another 7.2 release.

thanks for your help.

eric