Postgres Wierdness

From: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres Wierdness
Date: 2006-01-18 19:22:06
Lists: pgsql-general

I just started using JDBC to connect to postgres from Tomcat, and when
I pg_ctl stop -m immediate my server, I get a bunch of messages thus:

WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
the current transaction and exit, because another server process
exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

When the server comes back up, it claims:
LOG: database system was not propertly shut down; automatic recovery in progress

I'm using the Jdbc3PoolingDataSource to connection. The code isn't
doing any write transactions at all at this point.

Anyone any idea what might be happening here?

Alex Turner