Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org

From: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org
Date: 2004-11-04 03:50:28
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 23:43:24 -0400 (AST), Marc G. Fournier
<scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> Nope, looks like the --enable version only matters in the main php binary,
> as it hasn't improved load times ... but, using lynx on teh server itself,
> its definitely not hanging on load anymore like it was before ...

Ok then. Looks to me like we've dealt with hardware, i/o, apache,
php, and the database ;-) I mean, if we can't tune postgresql than it
should be impossible LOL

At this point it would be good to get some profiling on one of the
slower pages - being able to time the database tasks, template
rendering and logical computation would go a long way to seeing just
where the tuning steps could be taken.

So we have shown that other PHP scripts on this server are quick, and
that the focus of the tuning is really pointed at the new website,
right?

-- Mitch