a wierd query

From: "ashok(at)kalculate(dot)com" <ashok(at)kalculate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: a wierd query
Date: 2004-05-13 08:07:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

hi

i have a wierd problem and i require an equally weird query.
1) backgound
Table test:
CREATE TABLE main_table (
string_A varchar( 20),
string_B varchar( 20),
);
-- both columns are identical in nature and usage
INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('abcd','qrst');
INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('efgh','efgh');
INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('ijkl','abcd');
INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('abcd','ijkl');
INSERT INTO main_table VALUES('qrst','uvwx');

2) problem:

i require a query that gives me a result set of the form

'abcd'
'efgh'
'ijkl'
'qrst'
'uvwx'

that is i require the dictinct values from (visualizing each column
result as a set) the union of the two columns

3) questions

a) is a query like this possible that can give me the desired result
b) if so what would it be.

4) remarks

i can get the solution using a temporary table and with repeated
"insert into temporary select $column from main_table"

thanks in advance

ashok

http://mail2web.com/ .