TRANSACTIONS and TCP/IP

From: Barry Baldwin <bbaldwin(at)indyme(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: TRANSACTIONS and TCP/IP
Date: 1999-12-16 00:38:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I've got postgres 6.5.2 running on a Linux box and I'm developing a client
app in Delphi. The client sends SQL commands via TCP/IP.
I've tried starting a transaction by sending the BEGIN command and then I
update a table and then send a ROLLBACK command to try
and abort the transaction. It doesn't seem to be working. Even though I've
done a rollback the transaction still goes through.

When I start the transaction I get this message on the Linux box console
NOTICE: BeginTransactionBlock and not in default state

This indicates that there is a transaction already in process. I don't know
how that can be.

When I issue the rollback command I get this message
NOTICE: UserAbortTransactionBlock and not in in-progress state

This indicates that there is no transaction in progress. There sure should
be.

I tried all of the above in psql and it works fine. Is this something that
just won't work over a TCP/IP connection?

Any suggestions on how I can get transactions to work would be greatly
appreciated,

TIA,

Barry