Re: Checkpoint cost, looks like it is WAL/CRC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checkpoint cost, looks like it is WAL/CRC
Date: 2005-07-07 04:10:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As far as #2, my posted proposal was to write the full pages to WAL when
> they are written to the file system, and not when they are first
> modified in the shared buffers ---

That is *completely* unworkable. Or were you planning to abandon the
promise that a transaction is committed when we have flushed its WAL
commit record?

> Seems it is similar to fsync in risk, which is not a new option.

The point here is that fsync-off is only realistic for development
or playpen installations. You don't turn it off in a production
machine, and I can't see that you'd turn off the full-page-write
option either. So we have not solved anyone's performance problem.