Re: Why not working under 8.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: Andreas Moeller <a(dot)moeller(at)teia(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why not working under 8.3
Date: 2009-03-04 16:46:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net> writes:
> Out of curiosity I went back to 8.0 and ran the function and got:
> production=> SELECT dodi();
> WARNING: column "?column?" has type "unknown"
> DETAIL: Proceeding with relation creation anyway.

Pre-8.2 plpgsql was willing to treat INTO as not special if the word
right after it was not any known plpgsql variable, but this was never
exactly a good thing to rely on. Per the recommendation in the docs,
you should be using CREATE TABLE AS rather than SELECT INTO if you
want to get at the non-plpgsql behavior of SELECT INTO.