Re: Operators and schemas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Operators and schemas
Date: 2002-04-15 21:55:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I imagine that pg_dump could be able to figure out that certain references
> would be "local", so no explicit schema qualification is necessary.

Well, if it makes assumptions about the path then it can do that ... or
I guess it could explicitly set the path, and then it knows. Yeah, that
will probably work well enough. Okay, good ... the question of what
pg_dump should do about qualifying names was bugging me.

What I'm now envisioning is that pg_dump will explicitly set
set search_path = 'foo';
when dumping or reloading schema foo. Given the present semantics of
search_path, that will imply an implicit search of pg_catalog before
foo. Therefore, we have the following ground rules for schema
qualification in pg_dump:
* System (pg_catalog) names never need qualification.
* Names in the current schema need be qualified only if they
conflict with system names.
* Cross-references to other schemas will always be qualified.

This seems workable. Thoughts?