Re: pg_regress inputdir

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jorgen Austvik - Sun Norway <Jorgen(dot)Austvik(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress inputdir
Date: 2008-09-12 12:32:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I tried to run the test from another directory with this patch
>> installed, and found that it didn't work because it's replacing
>> @abs_builddir@ in the input files improperly (to the current path; it
>> should be using the output dir path, I think)

> I think the appropriate interface would be adding another option to
> pg_regress called --workdir or --tempdir, which defaults to PWD, and
> write the converted sql files there, and then look for the sql files to
> execute in workdir/sql and in inputdir/sql. In some way, this copies
> the vpath search mechanism.

That would be required to make pg_regress run as far as its own
facilities are concerned. But I think Alvaro is worried about something
at a higher level: the regression test process as a whole has some
directory layout assumptions built into it, particularly in regards
to where to find .so's. If we don't have a workable solution for that
it's not really going to help to change pg_regress like this.