Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

From: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Date: 2016-02-05 09:10:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We may have a good idea of how to define a custom language, still we
> are going to need to design a clean interface at catalog level more or
> less close to what is written here. If we can get a clean interface,
> the custom language implemented, and TAP tests that take advantage of
> this user interface to check the node/group statuses, I guess that we
> would be in good shape for this patch.
>
> Anyway that's not a small project, and perhaps I am over-complicating
> the whole thing.

Yes. The more I look at this, the worse the idea of custom syntax looks. Yes, I realize there are drawbacks to using JSON, but this is worse.

Further, there's a lot of horse-cart inversion here. This proposal involves letting the syntax for sync_list configuration determine the feature set for N-sync. That's backwards; we should decide the total list of features we want to support, and then adopt a syntax which will make it possible to have them.

--
Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS