Re: tie user processes to postmaster was:(Re: [HACKERS] scheduler in core)

From: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tie user processes to postmaster was:(Re: [HACKERS] scheduler in core)
Date: 2010-02-22 20:08:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I still haven't seen a good reason for not using cron or Task Scheduler
> or other standard tools.

- marketing? don't you hate when people say: Oracle has it!?
- user dumbness: they forgot to start daemons they need (yes, i have
seen that) or they simply don't know about them...
it's amazing the amount of people how ask me just after i tell them to
use cron or the windows task scheduler: and how i use that? Yes, in
Latin America are still very primitive... we use only those things
that are very very easy ;)

the ability to have processes that start when postmaster starts and
stop when postmaster stops is just one more way to be extensible
without integrating every piece of code into core

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova