Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-26 19:56:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> All,
>
> So, some feedback to make this decision more difficult:
>
> Users: care about HS more than anything else in the world. I'm convinced
> that if we took a staw poll, 80% of our users would be in favor of waiting
> for HS. This one feature will make more of a difference in the number of PG
> users than any feature since the Windows port. Maybe more.

if we think we will need a lot of time to get this in form, there will
be no difference in the time of the release just in the numbers in
which HS comes

> SE-Linux: this patch has effectively been in development for 2 years
> ourside the core process before putting it in; the forked SEPostgres is in
> use in production. KaiGai has been available for 20 hours a week (or more)
> to troubleshoot issues and change APIs. I really don't see what the problem
> is with committing it.

it hasn't been testing by ours in different platforms (ie: ubuntu has
selinux and i want to give it a try, badly enough i have never used
selinux so this is new to me)...

nor we have any evidence that it doesn't affect to users that doesn't
have any variant of selinux (ie: windows)... the real problem here is
the base of users we enough knowledge of the tool to make some usefull
tests

> ==============
>
> Regarding the Commitfests in general: we still haven't perfected this
> process. There are a number of issues with it which are hampered by
> technology, but a lot more by people. Here's my analysis of what's changed
> over the last year:
>
> 1) having the last CF on Nov. 1 was a mistake. That put us square in the
> path of the US & Christian holidays during the critical integration phase ..
> which means we haven't really had 3 months of integration, we've had *two*.

+1

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova