Re: Some Problems - Shall I reinstall the DB?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: vwu98034(at)lycos(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some Problems - Shall I reinstall the DB?
Date: 2011-02-01 21:14:23
Lists: pgsql-general

vwu98034(at)lycos(dot)com writes:
> When I try to access PG from PC command prompt with the psql command, I get the following error message:

> psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
> This probably mean the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request.

> This time a error message shows up in the PG log file: "FATAL: could not reattach to shared memory (key=5432001, addr=011D0000): Invalid argument"

If you're running PG on Windows, this is a known problem that was fixed
some time ago ...

> As I can tell, the PG log file doesn't tell the whole story. The version of PG is 8.0.

... but not *that* long ago. 8.0.x on Windows was desupported more than
three years ago, and as of last year is out of support on all platforms.
Please update to a current version.

http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.865