backup procedures

From: Edward Chase <echase(at)homer(dot)providence(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: backup procedures
Date: 2000-02-04 17:53:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
I know it's not suggested that you backup a live/active database.  I
believe that the suggested procedure is to take a snapshot of the database
by dumping it and then backing up the dump.

However I have an app that is used only by a single deptartment here.  Data
is not changing 24/7, there is no way that anybody is working on this at 3am.

Is there any harm in backing up this live database w/o dumping it?  Because
of it's small audience, if I needed to restore the data, I could shutdown
the postgres daemon, restore the data, and then fire it back up.

Not a huge deal, just being a bit lazy w/ backup procedures.  I mean it's
not really hard to have my backup script dump the db before the tape fires
up and then skip backing up the live db.

 Edward F. Chase III     |   echase(at)providence(dot)edu
 Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
 Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu
 Providence, RI  02918   |