Re: Re: Small bug in pg_dump

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Small bug in pg_dump
Date: 2001-03-19 02:50:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 19:10 14/03/01 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>It might even make
>sense for an ArchiveEntry to store both forms of the name, and then
>using code could just select the form wanted instead of calling
>fmtId repeatedly. Not sure.
>
>BTW, making the -t switch compare to the unquoted name would probably
>also fix the bizarre need for '"Foo"' exhibited above.

I think these are both fixed now; the SQL in the ArchiveEntry call still
uses the formatted names, but the name in the TOC entry is unformatted in
all cases except functions now. The TOC entry name is used in the -t switch
and in disabling triggers etc.

This does make me wonder (again) about some kind of pg_dump regression
test. ISTM that a test should be doable by building a DB from data files,
dumping it, restoring it, then using COPY to extract the data back to files
(and probably doing a sort on the output). We could also store a BLOB or
two. Then we compare the initial data files with the final ones. This will
test the integrity of the data & BLOB dump/restore. We then also need to
test the metadata integrity somehow, probably by dumping & restoring the
regression DB, but we'd need to modify the pg_dump output somewhat, I think.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \