RE: Lock on arbitrary string feature

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Lock on arbitrary string feature
Date: 2001-01-12 01:43:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 09:20 AM 11-01-2001 -0800, Mikheev, Vadim wrote:
>> In contrast the current alternatives appear to be either LOCK
>> the entire table (preventing ALL inserts and selects),
>
>SHARE ROW EXCLUSIVE mode doesn't prevent selects...

Sorry, I meant all inserts and selects on the locked table. At least so far
it seems to block those selects in 7.0.3 (I hope it does in all cases! If
not uhoh!).

>> or to create a UNIQUE constraint (forcing complete rollbacks
>> and restarts in event of a collision :( ).
>
>Hopefully, savepoints will be in 7.2

Yep that'll solve some things. Still think the getlock feature will be very
handy in many other cases.

BTW would there be a significant performance/resource hit with savepoints?

>> Any comments, suggestions or tips would be welcome. It looks
>> like quite a complex thing to do - I've only just started
>> looking at the postgresql internals and the lock manager.
>
>It's very easy to do (from my PoV -:)) We need in yet another
>pseudo table like one we use in XactLockTableInsert/XactLockTableWait
>- try to look there...

Thanks!

I think by the time I succeed Postgresql will be version 7.2 or even 8 :).

Cheerio,
Link.